Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Today was fun. I got to sit through a 2 hour divorce and parenting class. And I get to sit through another one next week. Now, I've been divorced for almost 7 years now, I think we've got it figured out by now. But, the State of Texas feels differently and it's mandated that anyone who has any kind of divorce or child custody case that comes through the court system is required to attend them. The case that we have is just a name change. I agree that it's a good idea, but I think they should look at the individual cases and decide then which ones have to go to the classes. I guess it's just easier to make it mandatory for everyone. Oh well, it gets me out of the house for 2 hours! heh
I bought a new dining table and the guy was supposed to deliver it today, but he didn't. I was kind of torqued. It's getting old not having a dining table.
I've been wanting some Chicken Tortilla Soup for a while, but couldn't find a recipe that I haven't already tried that I wanted to try. All of the ones I've tried haven't been what I wanted. My Mom told me about my sister-in-law's version, so I called up and got the recipe from my brother. I didn't like the sound of what all she put in hers. I love the classic version with basically just chicken, broth, tomatoes and seasonings but with the kids I try to add a little more nutrition. My SIL's version had too much stuff in it, so I started with the basic version, added some of hers and added some touches of my own. I have to say it's pretty much perfection. Anything that can be done all in one pot and cover all the food group bases is good with me.

Nina’s Chicken Tortilla Soup

1 really big pot
4 or 5 chicken boobies
2 quarts water
Parsley (I use about 2 tsps. of dried)
1 large onion, diced small
2 or 3 tsps. seasoned salt (I use Tony Chachere’s Original Creole)
2 chicken bouillion cubes

Bring the water and seasonings to a boil, add the chicken, lower heat and simmer 45 minutes. Take the chicken out, let it cool and then shred it. (I use two forks. If you cook it right, it should basically fall apart by itself.) Put the chicken back in the pot.


Now you’re going to need:

2 cans Rotel tomatoes (I use the mild version, if you like it spicier knock yourself out)
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
Cilantro (I use dried, about 1 or 2 tsps., depending on how much you like cilantro)
1 big tsp. cumin
1 lime
salt, pepper and garlic to taste

Dump all of that in the pot. Well, you might want to slice the lime in half and squeeze it in, works better that way. Simmer it all for a while to let the flavors receive.

Serve with tortilla chips (crush them up in the bowl) and shredded white cheese. I use Queso Quesadilla and Monterey Jack from Mexico. You can find those in the Mexican section of most grocery stores (well, in Texas you can), or you can just use whatever Jack you can find.

Perfect for this kind of weather! Make it! Enjoy it! (Come eat some of mine, there's plenty!)

No comments: